Whether you are moving into a new home, or you’ve recently been burgled, changing or rekeying your locks should be a top priority. Starting with fresh locks will ensure none of the older keys work and that you can sleep more soundly at night.
Do you really need a professional locksmith to help you with this task though, or can you do it all yourself?
This blog will tell you what you need to know.
Changing Locks: When to Do It
Let’s start by outlining the scenarios that warrant a lock change or rekeying.
- You’ve purchased or moved into a new home.
- A break-in has taken place and the keys were stolen.
- You’ve purchased a vacation rental.
- Spare keys are lost or stolen.
- You’re in the process of a messy divorce or separation.
Do You Really Need a Locksmith to Change Locks?
Now that you’re certain you need to rekey or change your locks, should you contact a locksmith or is this something you can do yourself?
The truth is that you can replace your door locks yourself. However, you should be aware that it can be a time-consuming and tricky process if you’ve never done it before. Rekeying can also be done yourself using a rekeying kit. But, again, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up damaging the lock completely.
If you want to avoid causing potential damage that will result in additional costs, it’s better to get the assistance of a professional locksmith. What’s more, a locksmith can get you the best prices on new locks, which is especially helpful if you need to change more than one.
Other reasons you may want to use a locksmith is if you want to install a master key system or need to rekey or replace a vintage lock, which requires specific knowledge and tools.
Planning Residential Lock Changes
There are a few things to consider as you plan your home’s lock changes.
- Find the right locksmith. Spend some time researching reputable locksmiths in your area. Look at their expertise, qualifications, reviews, and pricing before making a final decision.
- Know which locks need to be changed. Before you start phoning around for quotations, know how many locks need to be changed or rekeyed. You should also make a note of the types of locks you want if you have that information.
- Set a budget. Now that you know what you need, set a budget for any lock changes. This will help you narrow down your locksmith choices more quickly.
- Schedule an appointment. To ensure you’re home and unrushed, set a time and date for all your locks to be changed. It’s always best if you are at home so that your locksmith has what he needs, and you can ask any questions you might have.
The Cost of Changing Locks
The cost of rekeying or changing a lock depends on the hardware that needs to be installed or rekeyed and the number of locks involved. Certain locks are more complex than others, which means the process takes more time and requires specific expertise.
In some instances, modifications to the physical door are also required, which means labor costs increase.
The best way to get a more accurate idea of cost is to contact South Beach Locksmith on 305-692-0234.